1The process of making or producing something: the making of videos [in combination]: glassmaking
More example sentences
- For example, we developed every major innovation in the iron and steel making process.
- Moreover, actual decision making was more complex than simply one drug and its attendant cluster of factors.
- Should children not be involved in the actual making of those films?
3 (makings) Essential qualities or ingredients needed for something: a film with all the makings of a cinematic success
More example sentences
- Essentially, we now have the makings of a scrap over Britain's life companies that was predicted by this paper at the turn of the year.
- Put all these volatile elements together and we certainly have the makings of a heady, and potentially somewhat unstable, mixture for investment opportunities.
- The Penguins had all the makings of a Cup contender: a lethal offense, good goaltending, and good coaching.
be the making of someone
- Ensure someone’s success or favorable development: this place has been the making of me in many waysMore example sentences
- Ironically, Stuart's 14 years in jail were the making of him.
- A lot of needling went on just about constantly, but it was the making of you in a strange way.
- Recovering from this breakdown was the making of him, he says now.
in the making
- In the process of developing or being made: a campaign that’s been two years in the makingMore example sentences
- But most of the cases have been a long time in the making and are still struggling to reach resolution.
- Six years in the making and England have a cricket team to be proud of.
- A replica traction engine more than a decade in the making by a father and son team is almost complete.
of one's (own) making
- (Of a difficulty) caused by oneself.Example sentences
- It was those ‘who decided not to accept that offer’ who are now faced with difficulties of their own making, he said.
- The respondent submits that the applicant's difficulties are of his own making.
- However, we have tried to turn a difficult situation not of our making into an opportunity.
Words that rhyme with makingtaking, undertaking
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.