Definition of male fern in English:
A fern with brown scales on the stalks of the fronds, found in wooded areas of the northeastern US, but much more common in Eurasia.
- Genus Dryopteris, family Dryopteridaceae: several species, in particular D. filix-mas
- Either shade or sun suits male ferns planted in temperate regions, but full shade remains mandatory in warmer zones.
- There are tiny fiddleheads on the male ferns and ostrich ferns and the buds on the highbush cranberry are about ready to burst forth.
- These male ferns produce elegant, frilly fronds up to 3 feet long and spread if spores fall in the right conditions.
Definition of male fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.