A crystalline acid made by distilling malic acid and used in making synthetic resins.
- Alternative name: cis-butenedioic acid; chemical formula: HOOCCHCHCOOH
More example sentences
- Citric acid, maleic acid, and butanetetracarboxylic acid are the three agents used most often.
- Moreover the molecules of maleic acid are polar and are easily hydrated by the polar water molecules.
- If released into water, maleic acid will probably biodegrade based on the results of screening studies.
mid 19th century: maleic from French maléique, alteration of malique (see malic acid).
- More example sentences
- The researchers were not very concerned about the occurrence of fumarate, which is the trans isomer of maleate, because the levels were relatively low.
- It might be presumed that the other preparations available in the United States, methylergonovine maleate and ergonovine maleate, produce the same effects and outcomes.
- Methylergonovine maleate should be restricted to use in refractory cases and should never be used for more than six months continuously.
Pronunciation: /məˈlēˌāt, -ət/noun
Definition of maleic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary