- A crystalline acid present in unripe apples and other fruits.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HOOCCH2CH(OH)COOH
- The mixture of fruit acids may include citric acid, glycollic acid, lactic acid, malic acid and tartaric acid.
- And the tangy apple flavour found in most Chardonnays comes primarily from malic acid, the tart acid found in apples.
- In some species, there may be oscillations of citric acid in addition to malic acid.
- More example sentences
- Before addition of malate, the normalized fluorescence intensity was 1.21 in the absence of ADP.
- At first, we measured the frequencies of the rapid depolarizations in the presence of 0.2, 1, or 5 mM malate.
- Instead of malate, elevated zeaxanthin levels within the chloroplast may modulate guard cell CO2-sensitivity in the light.
Pronunciation: /ˈmalˌāt, ˈmāˌlāt/noun
late 18th century: malic from French malique, from Latin malum 'apple'.
More definitions of malic acidDefinition of malic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary