Definition of mallard in English:
noun (plural same or mallards)
The most common duck of the northern hemisphere and the ancestor of most domestic ducks, the male having a dark green head and white collar.
- Anas platyrhynchos, family Anatidae
- We saw lots of waterfowl, mostly Canada geese and mallards with the odd Gadwall.
- This paper examines the function of female resistance behavior in one of the dabbling ducks, the mallard.
- The teals, mallards and other small ducks were all paddling about.
Middle English: from Old French 'wild drake', from masle 'male'.
Words that rhyme with mallardBallard
Definition of mallard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.