Definition of mallee in English:
1A low-growing bushy Australian eucalyptus that typically has several slender stems.
- Genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae: several species, in particular E. dumosa
- Trees and Acacia species were planted 1m apart and mallees were planted 0.5m apart in view of later thinning.
- At the moment there are 900 farmers involved in planting oil mallees, and 20 million trees in the ground.
- In 2007 we will be contributing 20,000 oil mallees in areas prone to land degradation.
1.1 (also mallee scrub) Scrub that is dominated by mallee, typical of some arid parts of Australia.
- The property stretches for about 60 km from north to south through a tremendous mix of flood plain country and mallee.
- This contraption would knock down most of the mallee which would later be burned.
- Australia could only become really productive in terrain, soil, and vegetation as unique and perplexing as the mallee and the black soil plains, after it had forged its own slow agricultural revolution.
Mid 19th century: from Wuywurung (an Aboriginal language).
Words that rhyme with malleeAli, alley, Allie, Ally, bally, dally, dilly-dally, farfalle, galley, Halley, Mexicali, pally, Raleigh, rally, reveille, sally, tally, valley
Definition of mallee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.