1A hammer with a large, usually wooden head, used especially for hitting a chisel.
- Start your screw hole with an awl by tapping gently with a hammer or a soft-face mallet.
- Carpenters had mallets, hammers, drills, chisels, scrapers, planes, and copper saws at their disposal.
- The axe can then be hammered in further with a wooden mallet.
1.1A long-handled wooden stick with a head like a hammer, used for hitting a croquet or polo ball.
- For the piece titled Passageways, Toivanen set a croquet ball and mallet against the gallery wall, ready for play.
- He does like a polo mallet, he hits it and it goes flying over the table, and I'm saying, ‘Good shot.’
- I date men who knock me off my bike in bike polo by throwing a mallet at my spokes and watching me fall just like the boys.
1.2 Music A wooden or plastic stick with a rounded head, used to play certain percussion instruments such as xylophone and marimba.
- A wide variety of drumsticks, including hard sticks, soft mallets, and brushes, is used.
- Yamaha's high quality keyboard mallets offer a range of features for students and professionals.
- The current line of mallets is wound using either wool-based and nylon based yarns or two types of wool yarn.
Words that rhyme with malletpalette, pallet, valet
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mallet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.