Of or denoting bacterial fermentation that converts malic acid to lactic acid, especially as a secondary process used to reduce the acidity of some wines.
- Made by Tom Newton from cooler climate fruit, some of which has gone through a malolactic fermentation and been aged in oak.
- It is in this process of imparting body and age that malolactic fermentation becomes the key… or so I learned!
- There are few strains of malolactic bacteria that are friendly such as leuconostoc and oenococcus oeni.
- Pinot Noir needs to go through malolactic to soften and stabilize the wine, and is therefore often kept in an isolated part of the cellar to prevent cross-contamination from lactic bacteria.
- This Chardonnay (fruit from Clarksburg and Monterey) has good texture from partial malolactic with creamy and nutty notes under lively pear and apple flavours.
Definition of malolactic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.