Definition of maltreat in English:
Treat (a person or animal) cruelly or with violence.
- No parents or other adults should exploit, abuse or maltreat children.
- They had a nice four-room flat in Naupada, but soon after my first daughter was born they started maltreating me.
- Meanwhile, the fate of the abandoned, aborted, murdered, or maltreated girls is barely seen as a problem
early 18th century: from French maltraiter.
- Example sentences
- He advocates the ideas and defends the system of his brother's maltreaters.
- She's been in the news as the maltreater of dogs and cats.
- One requirement is that CPS must advise the alleged maltreater of the allegations against him or her at the first contact.
Words that rhyme with maltreataccrete, autocomplete, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, sleet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan