noun (plural mammae /ˈmamē, ˈmamˌī/)
1A milk-secreting organ of female mammals (in humans, the breast).
More example sentences
- The breasts came to be understood as a sign of the anomalous nature of the human body, as other mammals do not have prominent mammae: only human females do.
- Adult lions have 30 teeth and adult females have four mammae.
- In general, females have enough mammae for each young in the largest litters to have his or her own.
Old English, from Latin, 'breast'.
- More example sentences
- The Protoclassic is easy to recognize by the breast-shaped supports, known as mammiform pottery.
- ProtoClassic pottery, however, is included due to the decorative form of the mammiform supports and the peccary supports that develop in the following century.
- A single mammiform sherd was found in the surface collection.