A Caribbean tree that has acrid applelike fruit and poisonous milky sap that can cause temporary blindness.
- Hippomane mancinella, family Euphorbiaceae
More example sentences
- While on the beach, keep a lookout for manchineel trees because the fruit and sap is highly poisonous.
- Most manchineels have red warning bands painted round the trunks and danger signs attached.
- A picnic lunch was arranged on the beach under a manchineel tree and guest swam in the clear blue waters while John planted coconut trees along the shore.
mid 17th century: from French mancenille, from Spanish manzanilla, diminutive of manzana 'apple', based on Latin matiana (poma) (neuter plural), denoting a kind of apple.
Definition of manchineel in:
- The British & World English dictionary