Definition of mandarin duck in English:
A small tree-nesting eastern Asian duck, the male of which has showy plumage with an orange ruff and orange saillike feathers on each side of the body.
- Aix galericulata, family Anatidae
- Waterfowl, such as the gaudy mandarin duck, no longer nest in its wetlands; fish have been driven upriver or out to sea, or have gone extinct.
- The mandarin duck represented faithfulness, the magpie good luck.
- Besides wild swans and cranes, some rare migratory birds such as mandarin duck, large and small swans, white swans, white neck cranes, and cray cranes can be seen there.
Definition of mandarin duck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan