Definition of mangabey in English:
A medium-sized long-tailed monkey native to the forests of western and central Africa.
- Genus Cercocebus, family Cercopithecidae: several species
- For the first time in 20 years, scientists have identified a new primate species in Africa - the highland mangabey.
- The discarded remains included bones and skulls of mangabeys, large, predominantly ground-living monkeys.
- Another virus managed to get transferred from a species of monkey called the sooty mangabey, and this is known as HIV - 2.
Late 18th century: by erroneous association with Mangabey, a region of Madagascar.
Definition of mangabey in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.