Definition of mangel in English:
A beet of a variety with a large root, cultivated as feed for livestock.
- Beta vulgaris subsp. crassa, family Chenopodiaceae
- A couple of the beds will be given more attention, and fennel, mangels and sprouting broccoli sown in them.
- I'm late sowing runner beans, fennel and mangels (for Smokey and the pigs) but all will go in tomorrow.
- Cattle farming required a more intensive cultivation of fodder crops such as maize, potatoes, turnips, and mangels.
Mid 19th century: from German Mangoldwurzel, from Mangold 'beet' + Wurzel 'root'.
Words that rhyme with mangelangle, bangle, bespangle, dangle, entangle, fandangle, jangle, mangle, spangle, strangle, tangle, wangle, wide-angle, wrangle
Definition of mangel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan