Severely mutilate, disfigure, or damage by cutting, tearing, or crushing: the car was mangled almost beyond recognition figurative he was mangling Bach on the piano
More example sentences
- The smooth shell of the car was mangled beyond recognition.
- Two crushed and mangled pick-up trucks have been flipped on their side.
- The dais was in the form of a human whose skeleton was mangled beyond recognition.
Late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French mahangler, apparently a frequentative of mahaignier 'maim'.
- Example sentences
- Humphrys has now let his rage against the army of word manglers off the leash.
- My resolutions, therefore, are for others, and in particular for some of the many manglers of the English language.
- For each national-anthem mangler, there was only one rendition standing between glory and defeat.
Words that rhyme with mangleangle, bangle, bespangle, dangle, entangle, fandangle, jangle, mangel, spangle, strangle, tangle, wangle, wide-angle, wrangle
1A large machine for ironing sheets or other fabrics, usually when they are damp, using heated rollers.
- At seven in the evening they broke off to run the hotel linen through the mangle.
- The sheets were not ironed but were put through a mangle - like a large wringer - which flattened them.
1.1chiefly British A machine having two or more cylinders turned by a handle, between which wet laundry is squeezed (to remove excess moisture) and pressed.
- ‘If I wasn't at school, I had to turn the handle on the mangle while mum put the sheets through,’ Peter recalls.
- She does not have a TV and her washing machine is an archaic model involving rubber hoses and a handle-operated mangle.
- The garden also contains a vintage mechanical washing machine as well as antique ploughs, mangles and bacon slicers.
verb[with object] Back to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan