Definition of mango in English:
noun (plural mangoes or mangos)
1A fleshy yellowish-red tropical fruit that is eaten ripe or used green for pickles or chutneys.
- Now, those industries have gone and globalisation means that we can buy sun-drenched pineapples, mangoes and passion fruit in the middle of winter.
- You can use almost any fruit you like, but ripe mangoes, apricots and peaches all work particularly well.
- I chop up whatever fruits and vegetables I have available and make a delicious salad including my favourite garbanzo beans and mangoes.
2 (also mango tree) The evergreen Indian tree of the cashew family that bears this fruit, widely cultivated in the tropics.
- I have a mango tree that's been in the ground two years.
- She was kneeling under our mango tree drying out some wheat.
- Last year we featured a gardener who was enjoying summer fruit from a mango tree in his garden.
3A tropical American hummingbird that typically has green plumage with purple feathers on the wings, tail, or head.
- Genus Anthracothorax, family Trochilidae: several species, e.g., the Jamaican mango (A. mango), which has a dark bronze-green back, purple head, and black underside
- Among these are the dark green Jamaican mango and the red- and black-billed streamertail hummingbirds.