Definition of mania in English:
1Mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity.
- When these types break down they tend to develop either hysteria or mania.
- In two striking chapters he describes an episode of acute mania and how his manic depression affects his life.
- And so what you're indicating there is that there are degrees of mania when it comes to manic depression.
1.1An excessive enthusiasm or desire; an obsession: he had a mania for automobiles
More example sentences
- Like fashion and distinct from both fads and crazes, manias tend to develop by spreading downward through the social strata.
- Whether it is a mania for the latest hot rock star singer, or a mania to buy a financial asset, manias have truly exerted their influence for centuries.
- There will be gold rushes, booms, and manias aplenty in our future.