- A colorless sweet-tasting crystalline compound that is found in many plants and is used in various foods and medical products.
More example sentences
- An alcohol; chemical formula: CH2OH(CHOH)4CH2OH
- The most common sugar alcohols are sorbitol, mannitol, maltitol and xylitol.
- Many diabetic patients replace sugary foods with dietetic foods that contain sugar alcohols such as sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol.
- Sugar alcohols, including xylitol, mannitol, sorbitol, lactitol and maltitol, do not promote tooth decay or sudden spikes in blood sugar.
late 19th century: from mannite, in the same sense, + -ol.
More definitions of mannitolDefinition of mannitol in:
- The British & World English dictionary