- 1A large, impressive house.More example sentences
- Simple shotgun houses to magnificent mansions will be showcased in this exhibition detailing New Orlean's vivid architectural past.
- I remember passing by houses, and semi mansions with their own botanical gardens and Olympic coliseums.
- Spanish colonial mansions, cathedrals, churches, and houses adorn the streets of both cities.
- 1.2 [in names] British A large building divided into apartments: Carlyle MansionsMore example sentences
- The centre will be developed at Home Farm, next to St Ives mansion, and work is expected to begin in the next few weeks.
- It was used to send water from a spring near Haynes mansion into the roof of the building before it was dismantled and brought to Bedford.
- Developers have come under fire as it became clear that an empty Ulverston mansion has become a vandals' playground.
late Middle English (denoting the chief residence of a lord): via Old French from Latin mansio(n-) 'place where someone stays', from manere 'remain'.