Definition of mantis shrimp in English:
A predatory marine crustacean with a pair of large spined front legs that resemble those of a mantis and are used for capturing prey.
- Order Stomatopoda: many species, including the European Squilla desmaresti
- Like many marine crustaceans, mantis shrimp rely on their sense of smell to find food, mates, and habitat.
- There's also a couple of varieties of fire-gobies as well, and on a slightly larger scale, a mantis shrimp that slashes at its prey.
- Having played with the big shoals of fish for a while, I explore the rubble at the base of the reef, finding pairs of dartfish, garden eels, a blue-spotted stingray and a mantis shrimp which scuttles into its burrow.
Definition of mantis shrimp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan