Definition of mantis shrimp in English:
A predatory marine crustacean with a pair of large spined front legs that resemble those of a mantis and are used for capturing prey.
- Order Stomatopoda: many species, including the European Squilla desmaresti
- Like many marine crustaceans, mantis shrimp rely on their sense of smell to find food, mates, and habitat.
- There's also a couple of varieties of fire-gobies as well, and on a slightly larger scale, a mantis shrimp that slashes at its prey.
- Having played with the big shoals of fish for a while, I explore the rubble at the base of the reef, finding pairs of dartfish, garden eels, a blue-spotted stingray and a mantis shrimp which scuttles into its burrow.
Definition of mantis shrimp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.