Definition of mantra in English:
1(Originally in Hinduism and Buddhism) a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation.
- John Lennon used Buddhist mantras in the lyrics of his music such as Across the Universe.
- I think there is no difference in Zen, propagating Buddhism, reciting mantra, and worldly jobs.
- If you are using a Siva mantra, then the mantra will bring you closer to Siva-consciousness, as the mantra is Siva as sound.
1.1A Vedic hymn.
- The children have been shifted to an ashram or hermitage run by a local sage where they are being made to recite Vedic mantras and fire rituals are being performed to drive the spirits away.
- He attributes his current success in popularizing Sanskrit to his love of God and, not surprisingly, blessings derived from chanting Vedic mantras.
- Vedic mantras which are chanted should not go in vain.
1.2A statement or slogan repeated frequently: the environmental mantra that energy has for too long been too cheap
More example sentences
- The statement repeated the mantra that rates are appropriate but also added inflation outlook is favourable.
- Most likely, you're filling some need to alleviate a social guilt imposed by an environmental mantra.
- By including NGO's into the daily mantras of the state media, the society is being prepared for the introduction of what we know outside China as a civil society.
slogan, motto, maxim, catchphrase, catchword, watchword, byword, buzzword, tag (line)
- Example sentences
- ‘Slow,’ ‘steady’ and ‘certain’ are your mantric keywords right now.
- A lead singer acts as cantor, while the human chain behind joins in the chorus as everyone stamps the floor rhythmically in this mantric ritual.
- But when does joyous, mantric reiteration tip over into something more sinister, or worse, monotonous?
Late 18th century: Sanskrit, literally 'a thought, thought behind speech or action', from man- 'think', related to mind.
Words that rhyme with mantratantra, yantra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.