Definition of manucode in English:
A bird of paradise of which the male and female have similar blue-black plumage and breed as stable pairs.
- Genus Manucodia, family Paradisaeidae: five species, in particular the trumpet manucode or trumpet bird (M. keraudrenii), the male of which has a loud trumpeting call
- On the island of New Guinea lives a glossy, bluish black bird called the trumpet manucode (Manucodia keraudrenii).
- Nonetheless, birds with a really extreme elongation, such as the trumpet manucode, may have so much tracheal dead space that it does cause a problem, and in fact, these birds do not migrate and are reported to be somewhat sluggish.
- Manucodes are of considerable interest within the Paradisaeidae because the two species that have been studied are monogamous and non-territorial.
Definition of manucode in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan