Definition of manucode in English:
A bird of paradise of which the male and female have similar blue-black plumage and breed as stable pairs.
- Genus Manucodia, family Paradisaeidae: five species, in particular the trumpet manucode or trumpet bird (M. keraudrenii), the male of which has a loud trumpeting call
- On the island of New Guinea lives a glossy, bluish black bird called the trumpet manucode (Manucodia keraudrenii).
- Nonetheless, birds with a really extreme elongation, such as the trumpet manucode, may have so much tracheal dead space that it does cause a problem, and in fact, these birds do not migrate and are reported to be somewhat sluggish.
- Manucodes are of considerable interest within the Paradisaeidae because the two species that have been studied are monogamous and non-territorial.
Definition of manucode in:
- British & World English dictionary