A bird of paradise of which the male and female have similar blue-black plumage and breed as stable pairs.
- Genus Manucodia, family Paradisaeidae: five species, in particular the trumpet manucode or trumpet bird (M. keraudrenii), the male of which has a loud trumpeting call
More example sentences
- On the island of New Guinea lives a glossy, bluish black bird called the trumpet manucode (Manucodia keraudrenii).
- Nonetheless, birds with a really extreme elongation, such as the trumpet manucode, may have so much tracheal dead space that it does cause a problem, and in fact, these birds do not migrate and are reported to be somewhat sluggish.
- Manucodes are of considerable interest within the Paradisaeidae because the two species that have been studied are monogamous and non-territorial.
mid 19th century: from French, from modern Latin manucodiata (used in the same sense from the mid 16th to 18th centuries), from Malay manuk dewata 'bird of the gods'.
More definitions of manucodeDefinition of manucode in:
- The British & World English dictionary