- The books and manuscripts were written on vellum, a preparation of calf, goat and sheep skins.
- Priceless books and manuscripts will receive special protection as the restoration of a library gets underway.
- An entire manuscript of Urdu written in Roman is a precious treasure of the Lahore Museum.
- We are attracting more manuscripts and publishing more articles than ever before.
- All authors were responsible for revising the manuscript and for final approval of the paper.
- Informed consent for this purpose requires that the patient should be shown the manuscript to be published.
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin manuscriptus, from manu 'by hand' + scriptus 'written' (past participle of scribere).
manage from mid 16th century:
Managers now manage businesses, but the first things to be managed were horses. The earliest sense of manage in English was ‘to handle or train a horse’, or put it through the exercises of the manège (mid 17th century). This French word, used in English to mean ‘an area in which horses and riders are trained’ and ‘horsemanship’, is at root the same word as manage—both go back through Italian to Latin manus ‘hand’, the source also of manacles (Middle English) which restrain your hands; manicure (late 19th century) care of your hands; manipulate (early 19th century) to handle something; manner; manoeuvre; manual (Late Middle English) either done with your hands or a handbook; and manuscript (late 16th century) something written by hand.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.