An evergreen dwarf shrub related to the bearberry, native to California.
- Genus Arctostaphylos, family Ericaceae: several species, in particular A. manzanita
More example sentences
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Farther upland, usually between 3,000 and 5,000 feet, is chaparral, where scrub oaks, manzanitas, and various other shrubs join cacti and yuccas.
- Cheatgrass, sagebrush, manzanita, and ponderosa pine are all part of the volatile ground fuels mix that surrounds the fast-growing city.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, diminutive of manzana 'apple'.
More definitions of manzanitaDefinition of manzanita in:
- The British & World English dictionary