Definition of manzanita in English:
An evergreen dwarf shrub related to the bearberry, native to California.
- Genus Arctostaphylos, family Ericaceae: several species, in particular A. manzanita
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Farther upland, usually between 3,000 and 5,000 feet, is chaparral, where scrub oaks, manzanitas, and various other shrubs join cacti and yuccas.
- Cheatgrass, sagebrush, manzanita, and ponderosa pine are all part of the volatile ground fuels mix that surrounds the fast-growing city.
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, diminutive of manzana 'apple'.
Definition of manzanita in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan