Definition of maple in English:
1A tree or shrub with lobed leaves, winged fruits, and colorful autumn foliage, grown as an ornamental or for its timber or syrupy sap.
- Genus Acer, family Aceraceae: many species, including the common European field maple (A. campestre), the North American sugar maple (A. saccharum), and the Japanese maple (A. palmatum), which has many cultivars
- Although set in 24 acres of land, extra measures have been taken to plant more oaks, sycamores, maples and horse chestnut trees to provide increased privacy.
- Sugar maples, red maples, dogwood, sweet gum, black gum and sourwood can be brilliant red or yellow.
- Among the others are tanoaks, California black oaks, Shreve's oaks, madrones, rhododendrons, manzanita, big leaf maples and bay laurels.
1.1Maple syrup or maple sugar.
- Stateline New England Barbeque Potato Chips offer a new taste by combining maple flavor with barbeque chips, but this is a marriage made in hell.
- They are all of equal quality, but the darker the syrup, the stronger the maple flavor.
- The maple flavor is distinctly present and yummy.
Old English mapel (as the first element of mapeltrēow, mapulder 'maple tree'); used as an independent word from Middle English onward.
Definition of maple in:
- British & World English dictionary