noun (plural same)
1 (the Maquis) The French resistance movement during the German occupation (1940–45).
- It was common knowledge that the Maquis had waged an attack on German guards that very morning and had freed as many as three hundred American prisoners of war.
- I also pointed out that the Maquis were not a force resisting colonialism in the sense of the term we understand either in the Raj or in Iraq.
- It was at that time that the Maquis became a potent force of the resistance movement.
1.1A member of the Maquis.
- We meet Gaspar, the bull-necked boss of the local Maquis, obviously still enraged by the compliance of his neighbours.
- At the drop area the Maquis failed to flash their reception lights and caused the mission to be aborted.
- There were 22,000 German troops in the area and initially 3-4,000 Maquis.
2Dense scrub vegetation consisting of hardy evergreen shrubs and small trees, characteristic of coastal regions in the Mediterranean.
- In the same area, H. spontaneum also occupies an array of secondary habitats, such as open Mediterranean maquis, abandoned fields, and roadsides.
- Its roots grow deep in the rocky earth of maquis and chaparral.
- It's an island where isolated villages cling precariously to crags, wild boar snuffle for food and bees grow drunk on the nectar from the maquis - the fragrant scrub that cloaks the island's ancient bones.
Early 19th century (sense 2): from French, 'brushwood', from Corsican Italian macchia.
Words that rhyme with maquisabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.