Definition of marigold in English:
1A plant of the daisy family, typically with yellow, orange, or copper-brown flowers, that is widely cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genera Tagetes (the French and African marigolds) and Calendula (the common (or pot) marigold), family Compositae
- Dark-leafed Heuchera ‘Palace Purple’ and bright orange pot marigold add contrast and stop the group looking wishy-washy.
- Fast-growing annuals such as nasturtium, candytuft and pot marigold can still be sown.
- Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.
Late Middle English: from the given name Mary (probably referring to the Virgin) + dialect gold, denoting the corn or garden marigold in Old English.
Words that rhyme with marigoldmillionfold • mangold
Definition of marigold in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.