Definition of marigold in English:
1A plant of the daisy family, typically with yellow, orange, or copper-brown flowers, that is widely cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genera Tagetes (the French and African marigolds) and Calendula (the common (or pot) marigold), family Compositae
- Dark-leafed Heuchera ‘Palace Purple’ and bright orange pot marigold add contrast and stop the group looking wishy-washy.
- Fast-growing annuals such as nasturtium, candytuft and pot marigold can still be sown.
- Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.
late Middle English: from the given name Mary (probably referring to the Virgin) + dialect gold, denoting the corn or garden marigold in Old English.
Definition of marigold in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan