Definition of marine iguana in English:
A large lizard with webbed feet that swims strongly and feeds on marine algae. It is native to the Galapagos Islands and is the only marine lizard.
- Amblyrhynchus cristatus, family Iguanidae
- This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
- The tortoises, marine iguanas and land iguanas on the Galapagos Islands, studied by Charles Darwin, provide some of the most striking examples.
- Another example of likely feedback of social interactions onto circulating hormone levels comes from Galapagos marine iguanas.
Definition of marine iguana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan