Definition of marine iguana in English:
A large lizard with webbed feet that swims strongly and feeds on marine algae. It is native to the Galapagos Islands and is the only marine lizard.
- Amblyrhynchus cristatus, family Iguanidae
- This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
- The tortoises, marine iguanas and land iguanas on the Galapagos Islands, studied by Charles Darwin, provide some of the most striking examples.
- Another example of likely feedback of social interactions onto circulating hormone levels comes from Galapagos marine iguanas.
Definition of marine iguana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.