(also mariposa tulip)
Definition of mariposa lily in English:
A plant of the lily family, with brightly colored cup-shaped flowers, native to Mexico and the western US. Closely related to the sego.
- Genus Calochortus, family Liliaceae: several species
- Areas once graced by desert mariposa tulip, Rocky Mountain bee plant, prickly poppy and evening primrose were invaded by the hostile horehound.
- Other wildflowers interspersed among the grasses are tidy tips, red maids, Indian paintbrush, owl's clover, shooting-star, larkspur, golden star, mariposa lily, and johnny-jump-up.
- A stand of yellow mariposa lilies explodes below, while white Pieris butterflies flit just out of reach.
Mid 19th century: mariposa from Spanish, literally 'butterfly'.
Definition of mariposa lily in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.