- 1An identification mark, especially a mark or pattern of marks on an animal’s fur, feathers, or skin: the distinctive black-and-white markings on its headMore example sentences
- The juvenile looks similar but lacks the white facial feathering and black markings on the belly.
- Condor was a black horse with silver markings on the outsides of all four legs, in the form of streaks.
- On her belly is a beautiful pattern of black and white markings.
- 1.1 Music A word or symbol on a score indicating the correct tempo, dynamic, or other aspect of performance.More example sentences
- The tempo markings also use descriptive words, with a specific metronome marking given for each piece.
- The editing includes dynamic markings and pedal indications but no fingerings.
- Missing tempo markings may have led Bernstein to perform contrasting sections more slowly than Ives wished.
More definitions of markingDefinition of marking in:
- The British & World English dictionary