Definition of marking in English:
1An identification mark, especially a mark or pattern of marks on an animal’s fur, feathers, or skin: the distinctive black-and-white markings on its head
More example sentences
- The juvenile looks similar but lacks the white facial feathering and black markings on the belly.
- Condor was a black horse with silver markings on the outsides of all four legs, in the form of streaks.
- On her belly is a beautiful pattern of black and white markings.
1.1 Music A word or symbol on a score indicating the correct tempo, dynamic, or other aspect of performance.
- The tempo markings also use descriptive words, with a specific metronome marking given for each piece.
- The editing includes dynamic markings and pedal indications but no fingerings.
- Missing tempo markings may have led Bernstein to perform contrasting sections more slowly than Ives wished.
Words that rhyme with markingsarking
Definition of marking in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan