Definition of markup in English:
1The amount added to the cost price of goods to cover overhead and profit.
- Profit margins and markups vary, depending on whether you are talking about a hand-crafted latte at a coffee house or a 12-ounce bag of whole beans at the grocery store.
- Since fish is very perishable, retail and wholesale markups are very high.
- But profit margins are so wide that many businesses will be able to absorb those costs instead of making huge markups on prices, a move that could cost them sales in a highly competitive marketplace.
2The process or result of correcting text in preparation for printing.
- This compartment supports basic viewing and text-based markup.
- These tools support review and markup through a Web browser, even for users not equipped with the originating CAD system.
- Here's a PDF file showing all the markups.
2.1The process of making the final changes in a legislative bill: the bill concerning acid rain is in markup
More example sentences
- We are expecting early markup of the bills in committees in both the House and Senate, so I think things are going to happen quickly.
- I'm very hopeful that we will have a speedy markup and get this bill to the floor within a week or so.
- Regardless of the final markup, conventional congressional wisdom accepts that the additional funds will be needed sooner than expected.
3 Computing A set of tags assigned to elements of a text to indicate their relation to the rest of the text or dictate how they should be displayed.
- But in fact, HTML is just one markup language, while XML allows you to create your own languages.
- These developments are in part rivalled by increasingly sophisticated Internet markup languages like XML, which can also be used by agents.
- The Internet is based on using hypertext markup language, which allows users to view content irrespective of hardware.
Words that rhyme with markupround-up • hold-up • catch-up • backup
Definition of markup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan