An unconsolidated sedimentary rock or soil consisting of clay and lime, formerly used typically as fertilizer.
- The covering of the basin floor during periods of enhanced moisture conditions allows the deposition of lacustrine sediments such as marls and clays.
- Basement rocks consist of Tortonian volcanic rocks unconformably overlain by Messinian (uppermost Miocene) marine marls, coral-reef limestones and carbonate breccias.
- The sediments include lacustrine freshwater limestones, silts, marls, occasional sands and local lignite.
verb[with object] Back to top
Apply marl to.
- For example, from 1710 to 1715 John Carr of Massingham ‘marled by agreement 240 acres, and was allowed 8s. an acre in return…’.
- The tenant, moreover, formerly said that he had marled the field thirty years before, but was now positive that this was done in 1809, that is twenty-eight years before the first examination of the field by my friend.
- The luxuriant growth of wheat on the marled field showed an even more striking difference.
- Example sentences
- The unit is composed of rhythmically bedded marls, horizons of laminated organic-rich black shales, rare marly limestones, clastic turbidites, and penecontemporaneous slumps.
- The entire formation is between 12 and 20 m thick, and consists of light grey, marly chalk of varying percentages.
- The genus obviously preferred environments with slightly deeper water, under quiet, marly sedimentation and a deposition of soft, muddy substrates.
Words that rhyme with marlAmal, Arles, banal, Barisal, Basle, Bhopal, Carl, chorale, corral, dhal, entente cordiale, Escorial, farl, femme fatale, Funchal, gayal, gnarl, halal, Karl, kraal, locale, morale, musicale, Pascal, pastorale, procès-verbal, Provençal, rationale, real, rial, riyal, snarl, Taal, Taj Mahal, timbale, toile, Vaal, Vidal, Waal
Definition of marl in:
- British & World English dictionary
Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun[mass noun, usually as modifier]
A mottled yarn of differently coloured threads, or fabric made from this yarn: blue marl leggings
More example sentences
- For the most sumptuous layering for relaxing at home, wear slouchy drawstring trousers, cami and an oversized wrap-around cardigan in grey marl cashmere mix.
- That grey marl hoodie, £25, is a man's item.
- Josh pulled the collar of his grey marl coat up to shield his neck from the onslaught of bitter winds.
Late 19th century: shortening of marbled.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.