- A large edible billfish of warm seas that is a highly prized game fish and typically reaches a great weight.
More example sentences
- Genera Makaira and Tetrapterus, family Istiophoridae: several species, including the striped marlin (T. audax)
- The blue marlin and its cousins, the white marlin, swordfish and sailfish, bring up the rear.
- Although the crew reckoned it was a poor day, we still caught two good sailfish, a white marlin and a barracuda.
- Billfish fall into four groups, treated under marlin, sailfish, spearfish, and swordfish.
early 20th century: from marlinspike (with reference to its pointed snout).
More definitions of marlinDefinition of marlin in:
- The British & World English dictionary