- A preserve made from citrus fruit, especially bitter oranges, prepared like jam.More example sentences
- It can be eaten as is or made into a jelly, marmalade, nectar, squash, or sherbet.
- Spoon some of the orange marmalade around the dish and garnish with chocolate peppermint.
- According to an EU ruling, marmalade can contain only citrus fruit, not apricots or other soft fruit.
late 15th century: from Portuguese marmelada 'quince jam', from marmelo 'quince', based on Greek melimēlon (from meli 'honey' + mēlon 'apple').
More definitions of marmaladeDefinition of marmalade in:
- The British & World English dictionary