Made of or likened to marble.
- As such, his physique evokes the structure of bodybuilding's frontiersmen: marmoreal monsters who were as thick and deep as they were wide, because they defied their bodies rather than ‘listened to them.’
- The oxymoronic ‘gripped undulation’ suggests the marmoreal petrifaction of a wave at the ‘salt margin’ of the sea; whilst the last two lines allegorise the image of a pilot ejecting from mortality.
- The Virgin's body and neck are dramatically attenuated, and her marmoreal forehead and glossy curls are decorated with ropes of pearls and an enormous ruby.
- Example sentences
- Keith's house, on the other hand, is a tidy fortress of English propriety and composure, presided over by a marmoreally composed mother and patrolled by a jolly authoritarian of a father, who calls his son '‘old bean'’.
- It lacks the nostalgic tug of his early work and is not as marmoreally "tragic" as the later stuff.
- His face became marmoreally still, even as his eyes welled up and began to close.
Words that rhyme with marmorealaccessorial, accusatorial, advertorial, ambassadorial, arboreal, armorial, auditorial, authorial, boreal, censorial, combinatorial, consistorial, conspiratorial, corporeal, curatorial, dictatorial, directorial, editorial, equatorial, executorial, gladiatorial, gubernatorial, immemorial, imperatorial, janitorial, lavatorial, manorial, memorial, monitorial, natatorial, oratorial, oriel, pictorial, piscatorial, prefectorial, professorial, proprietorial, rectorial, reportorial, sartorial, scriptorial, sectorial, senatorial, territorial, tonsorial, tutorial, uxorial, vectorial, visitorial
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of marmoreal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.