Definition of marmoset in English:
A small Central and South American monkey with a silky coat and a long nonprehensile tail.
- Family Callitrichidae (or Callithricidae): genus Callithrix (three species), and the pygmy marmoset (Cebuella pygmaea)
- Every year more than 10,000 non-human primates, including baboons, owl monkeys rhesus macaques and marmosets are transported by commercial airlines to research labs.
- Rare uakari monkeys, marmosets and umbrella birds move through the lush canopy foraging for food.
- Human cold sores, he said, can kill smaller monkeys like marmosets and tamarins.
Late Middle English (also in the sense 'grotesque figure'): from Old French marmouset 'grotesque image', of unknown ultimate origin.
Definition of marmoset in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.