Definition of marmoset in English:
A small Central and South American monkey with a silky coat and a long nonprehensile tail.
- Family Callitrichidae (or Callithricidae): genus Callithrix (three species), and the pygmy marmoset (Cebuella pygmaea)
- Every year more than 10,000 non-human primates, including baboons, owl monkeys rhesus macaques and marmosets are transported by commercial airlines to research labs.
- Rare uakari monkeys, marmosets and umbrella birds move through the lush canopy foraging for food.
- Human cold sores, he said, can kill smaller monkeys like marmosets and tamarins.
late Middle English (also in the sense 'grotesque figure'): from Old French marmouset 'grotesque image', of unknown ultimate origin.
Definition of marmoset in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan