Definition of marmot in English:
- Genus Marmota, family Sciuridae: several species
- The Rodentia also includes beavers, muskrats, porcupines, woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, marmots, chinchillas, voles, lemmings, and many others.
- Some of these destructive species include beavers, muskrats, elk, deer, voles, marmots, prairie dogs and geese.
- Stop along this byway to hike across broad plateaus and to admire Rocky Mountain goats, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, marmots, and mule deer.
Early 17th century: from French marmotte, probably via Romansh murmont from late Latin mus montanus 'mountain mouse'; compare with French marmotter 'mutter through the teeth'.
Words that rhyme with marmotimamate
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.