A heavily built, gregarious, burrowing rodent of both Eurasia and North America, typically living in mountainous country.
- Genus Marmota, family Sciuridae: several species
More example sentences
- The Rodentia also includes beavers, muskrats, porcupines, woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, marmots, chinchillas, voles, lemmings, and many others.
- Some of these destructive species include beavers, muskrats, elk, deer, voles, marmots, prairie dogs and geese.
- Stop along this byway to hike across broad plateaus and to admire Rocky Mountain goats, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, marmots, and mule deer.
early 17th century: from French marmotte, probably via Romansh murmont from late Latin mus montanus 'mountain mouse'; compare with French marmotter 'mutter through the teeth'.
Definition of marmot in:
- The British & World English dictionary