Definition of marquise in English:
1The wife or widow of a marquis. Compare with marchioness.
- ‘We have already agreed that this is the badge of a marquis or of a marquise,’ said he.
- Parenthetically I would mention that the flirtatiously deferential pose of the woman in Morning, with her tilted head and averted eyes, highlights the surprisingly uncoquettish demeanor of the marquise.
- The loss of her mother affected Marion's ability to sleep for more than one or two hours at a time, making her an ideal ‘busy girl’ for the marquise, who demands a servant's presence to guard her through the night.
1.1A woman holding the rank of marquis in her own right.
- With her thirtieth year had come promotion to the rank of duchesse, although she preferred the tide of marquise.
- Within four months the king made her marquise de Pompadour and pensioned her husband off to farm in the country.
- She then became the official mistress of Louis XV and marquise before ending up as lady-in-waiting to the queen, de facto minister, and pious, platonic consort of the king.
2A finger ring set with a pointed oval gem or cluster of gems.
- If you have short fingers or small hands wearing a marquise or oval shape diamond ring will wear your fingers look longer.
- A five stone diamond, 18 carat gold eternity ring; an 18 carat gold marquise oval cluster ring; and an 18 carat gold single diamond twist ring were taken.
- The reason it was newsworthy this time was the fact that she had been recently spotted sporting a huge marquise cut diamond ring on the all-important ring finger.
3 archaic term for marquee (sense 2).
- Pressed metal was widely used in the late 1800s and early 1900s to decorate ceilings and walls as well as exteriors such as store fronts, awnings, marquises and building cornices.
- The world's most successful musical theater impresario had his muse and the muse had roles written for her and her name spelled with big letters on theater marquises.
4A chilled dessert similar to a chocolate mousse.
- In comes a white chocolate marquise and a French brioche toast with strawberries and ice cream.
- The chocolate marquise is fabulously simple, and if you wanted you could equally serve it frozen as a parfait.
- The dark chocolate marquise with two chocolate sauces had hardly arrived at the table when it disappeared, testimony to its excellent flavour.
Words that rhyme with marquiseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of marquise in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan