Definition of marram grass in English:
A coarse grass of coastal sand dunes that binds the loose sand with its tough rhizomes, found in Europe, North America, and Australia.
- Ammophila arenaria, family Gramineae
- I followed Sean away from the beach, down the sandy paths where the marram grass gave way to bracken and scrubby trees, deeper and deeper into the dunes.
- A steep sand cliff rose 50m from the coast to form a complex system of dunes fixed by marram grass with areas where competitors faced soft energy-sapping sand.
- These are not straggly, marram grass-threaded dunes as we know them.
mid 17th century: from Old Norse marálmr, from marr 'sea' + hálmr 'haulm'.
Definition of marram grass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan