Definition of marram grass in English:
A coarse grass of coastal sand dunes that binds the loose sand with its tough rhizomes, found in Europe, North America, and Australia.
- Ammophila arenaria, family Gramineae
- I followed Sean away from the beach, down the sandy paths where the marram grass gave way to bracken and scrubby trees, deeper and deeper into the dunes.
- A steep sand cliff rose 50m from the coast to form a complex system of dunes fixed by marram grass with areas where competitors faced soft energy-sapping sand.
- These are not straggly, marram grass-threaded dunes as we know them.
Mid 17th century: from Old Norse marálmr, from marr 'sea' + hálmr 'haulm'.
Definition of marram grass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.