Definition of marriageable in English:
Fit, suitable, or attractive for marriage, especially in being of the right age.
- She has become the noble and marriageable daughter of a wealthy feudal lord.
- Women had long hair, but marriageable girls wore their hair twisted up into large whorls on either side of their heads.
- The imbalance in the number of girls and boys of marriageable age is not the only cause of these social changes, and it will not persist for long.
- Example sentences
- A single untoward remark or social misstep by any family member can sink a prospective marriage; failed negotiations in turn put the family reputation - and thus the marriageability of every family member - at risk.
- Circumcision is a way of protecting propriety, morality, and marriageability.
- They kept it quiet because they thought it could affect the marriageability of other women in the family.
Definition of marriageable in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan