Definition of marriageable in English:
Fit, suitable, or attractive for marriage, especially in being of the right age.
- She has become the noble and marriageable daughter of a wealthy feudal lord.
- Women had long hair, but marriageable girls wore their hair twisted up into large whorls on either side of their heads.
- The imbalance in the number of girls and boys of marriageable age is not the only cause of these social changes, and it will not persist for long.
- Example sentences
- A single untoward remark or social misstep by any family member can sink a prospective marriage; failed negotiations in turn put the family reputation - and thus the marriageability of every family member - at risk.
- Circumcision is a way of protecting propriety, morality, and marriageability.
- They kept it quiet because they thought it could affect the marriageability of other women in the family.
Definition of marriageable in:
- British & World English dictionary