1A bone containing edible marrow.
- Trotters with marrowbone is another St John-style dish.
- Marrow rich bone thus would have wound up in cooking pots, and after the marrow was consumed the marrowbones were discarded on site, ultimately ending up in the zooarchaeological samples recovered.
- The other soup, Kapusniak, was made from sauerkraut cooked in water with marrowbones, pork meat and pork sausages, carrots, knob celery, parsley roots and onions.
1.1 (marrowbones) dated, humorous The knees.
- Tom sat in armchair and leaned on his hands, putting elbows on his marrowbones, he wanted to hear everything.
- At these speeches my tender-hearted host fell down on his marrowbones, meaning indeed to entreat his audience to be good to him.
- The Admiral, now on his marrowbones, immediately gave in, to prevent, as he said, the unnecessary effusion of blood.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of marrowbone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.