- A chiefly arboreal weasellike mammal found in Eurasia and North America, hunted for its fur in many northern countries.More example sentences
- A cousin of mink, martens, otters, stoats, weasels and distantly related to seals, badgers are one of our oldest indigenous animals, whose fossil remains have been found to belong to the same era as mammoths.
- Fishers are among the least understood of the weasel family, or mustelids, which also includes martens, minks, ermines, ferrets, badgers, otters, and wolverines.
- The researchers say that nestlings in at least half of the nests they studied were eaten, mainly by martens and weasels.
Middle English (frequently in the plural, denoting the fur): from Old French (peau) martrine 'marten (fur)', from martre, of West Germanic origin.
More definitions of martenDefinition of marten in:
- The British & World English dictionary