Definition of martial arts in English:
Various sports or skills, mainly of Japanese origin, that originated as forms of self-defense or attack, such as judo, karate, and kendo.
- Judo is a martial art and an Olympic sport, which originated in Japan.
- He also runs regularly and has taken up two different martial arts - karate and wing chun, a form of tai chi.
- After all, aikido is a martial art for self-defense, so we become very sensitive to attack.
martial artist noun
- Example sentences
- Most martial artists are not in a position to criticize the techniques of others, for there are too many cases in which someone who appears somewhat weak turns out to be extraordinarily strong.
- One of the questions most often asked of martial artists is, ‘How long does it take to get a black belt?’
- Competition over the years has greatly enhanced the efficiency of techniques and boosted the level of martial artists.
Definition of martial arts in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India