Definition of martyrdom in English:
1The death or suffering of a martyr.
- The persecutions and martyrdoms seemed to have solidified the believers' faith.
- Reports of martyrdoms steeled resistance to persecution and were the source of encouragement to persevere.
- The missionary Jesuit order developed a speciality in clinical depictions of torturous martyrdoms.
1.1A display of feigned or exaggerated suffering to obtain sympathy or admiration.
- They're self-righteous librarians drunk on the power of process and convinced of the virtue of martyrdom.
- He does so with an air of martyrdom about him, the selfish man.
- How could I refuse such an impressive display of martyrdom?
Words that rhyme with martyrdompoppadom • pauperdom
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan