- 1The death or suffering of a martyr.More example sentences
- The persecutions and martyrdoms seemed to have solidified the believers' faith.
- Reports of martyrdoms steeled resistance to persecution and were the source of encouragement to persevere.
- The missionary Jesuit order developed a speciality in clinical depictions of torturous martyrdoms.
- 1.1A display of feigned or exaggerated suffering to obtain sympathy or admiration.More example sentences
- They're self-righteous librarians drunk on the power of process and convinced of the virtue of martyrdom.
- He does so with an air of martyrdom about him, the selfish man.
- How could I refuse such an impressive display of martyrdom?