Definition of masculine in English:
1Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men, especially strength and aggressiveness: he is outstandingly handsome and robust, very masculine
More example sentences
- These are very attractive and masculine qualities.
- This 16th century bastioned city is unique in the feminine quality among the masculine citadels of Rajasthan.
- Actually, part of her success is that she combines traditionally masculine and feminine qualities in one package.
1.1Of or relating to men; male: a masculine voice
2 Grammar Of or denoting a gender of nouns and adjectives, conventionally regarded as male.
- Italian casa ‘house’ is a noun of feminine gender, giardino ‘garden’ is a noun of masculine gender.
- It is unfortunate that the gender of the noun, being masculine, is confused with the intent of the word, which is neutral.
- Latin homo is a masculine noun that can mean a human being, a male person, or humanity in general.
noun(the masculine) Back to top
1The male sex or gender: the masculine as the norm
More example sentences
- The result seems very much a mix of the two genders, with the emphasis on the masculine.
- It differentiates the masculine from the feminine, the child from the adult and the human from the animal.
- It must be part of an inclusive approach to discussing a new history, which integrates the feminine with the masculine.
1.1 Grammar A masculine word or form.
- In dictionaries, adjectives are always given in the masculine singular and this may not be the form in which you need the adjective and you may have to change it.
- The Masculine of either the Adjective or the Participle is freely used in any Case and in any construction.
- It will be observed that the masculine of the adjective is declined exactly like a masculine noun of the second declension, the feminine exactly like a feminine noun of the first declension, and the neuter exactly like a neuter noun of the second declension.
- Example sentences
- Next came the denim jacket, my hands masculinely gripping the lapels, a debonair smile cocked across my face.
- But it is the similarity of Aretino's praise of Venus's masculinely feminine form to Dolce's admiring description of the femininely masculine Adonis that is especially striking.
- The men's designs were more modern in their scope; and Mr Tong showed some very masculinely sexy pieces here.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan