- A device using the stimulated emission of radiation by excited atoms to amplify or generate coherent monochromatic electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range.More example sentences
- There are of course lasers with wavelengths in the infrared, masers that emit coherent microwaves, and even x-ray lasers.
- Instead of emitting light, like a laser, the maser emits microwave energy at a specific frequency, which produces a very specific ticking.
- Instead of emitting visible light, a maser generates a beam of pure microwave energy - electromagnetic waves intermediate in length between infrared and radar.
1950s: acronym from microwave amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.
More definitions of maserDefinition of maser in:
- The British & World English dictionary