- A solitary wasp that nests in a cavity or in a hole in the ground, sealing the nest with mud or similar material.
More example sentences
- Several genera in the family Eumenidae
- The Purbeck mason wasp is a large, red, black-and-yellow mason wasp which provisions its nest with the caterpillars of a tortricid moth which feeds on heathers.
- Another solitary wasp, the mason wasp, chooses a flat surface and begins by building a series of arches out of mud or clay.
- The mason-wasp does not furnish the cell she has thus constructed with pollen and honey, like the solitary bees, but with living caterpillars.
More definitions of mason waspDefinition of mason wasp in:
- The British & World English dictionary