Definition of massacre in English:
1An indiscriminate and brutal slaughter of people: the attack was described as a cold-blooded massacre she says he is an accomplice to massacre
More example sentences
- It was a slow slaughter, peppered with massacres and atrocities from which whole generations are still recovering.
- Nothing else can describe such brutal massacres, such wanton destruction.
- I thought that I had seen one tiny corner of an indiscriminate massacre of students and intellectuals, a bloodbath.
1.1 informal A heavy defeat of a sports team or contestant.
- We discovered in the massacre at Macclesfield that all teams can look poor going backwards, and Longton were certainly no exception.
- It was a massacre.. Australia smashed England out of the park in the batting and then took the major wickets in short order.
- It was a massacre. When a team wins 38-14, on the road, without forcing a single defensive turnover, you know it has been a one-sided game.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Deliberately and violently kill (a large number of people).
- In retaliation to killings of northerners in the South, the military rulers massacred thousands of southerners and many were brutally tortured.
- We would massacre their cities, killing woman and children, and they would do the same.
- Then criminal responsibility would in fact be much clearer than it would be if soldiers had massacred civilians in violation of orders.
1.1 informal Inflict a heavy defeat on (a sports team or contestant).
- Yesterday, however, the triple Olympic champion turned up at the start of the women's time-trial and massacred the opposition to retain the second of her titles.
- In 81 overs the Nalandians massacred the Royal bowlers to post a massive 315 for six wickets when stumps were drawn.
- After taking some time to play himself in, he simply massacred the bowlers and England were put to the sword.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan