noun (plural mastectomies)
- A surgical operation to remove a breast.More example sentences
- There are sports bras, nursing bras, bras designed to take prosthetic breasts for women who have undergone mastectomies.
- Reconstruction can be done in the same operation as the mastectomy, and may be more successful if it's done straight away.
- The authors recommend their large-tissue-section approach for routine handling of all breast excisions and mastectomies.
1920s: from Greek mastos 'breast' + -ectomy.
More definitions of mastectomyDefinition of mastectomy in:
- The British & World English dictionary