Definition of matchmaker in English:
1A person who arranges relationships and marriages between others, either informally or, in certain cultural communities, as a formal occupation.
- Other men asked a matchmaker to arrange marriages for them.
- The marriage of her own parents were arranged through a matchmaker and they were married without even meeting each other first.
- This was still a country of matchmakers and arranged marriages, and much pressure was brought to bear.
1.1A person or company that brings parties together for commercial purposes.
- The firm is a merger and acquisition matchmaker for companies with market values of $300,000 to $15 million.
- Like business brokers, the matchmakers are unregulated or, at most, loosely regulated.
- She prefers to think of herself as a piano matchmaker.
- Example sentences
- This musical matchmaking turned into an album whose songs marry indie rock, jazz, soundtrack music and Latin music.
- He explained that the enclosure was probably used as a place to meet for trading, socialising, matchmaking and weddings.
- If you are looking for an insight into all the matchmaking, misunderstandings and longing that make for a perfect love story, it can be found in the pages of Austen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan